Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Photos

Below I am adding a few pics of Cathy... they are from my Cell Phone (Lately I tend to forget my digital camera when I need it!) so they are very small. But if you can make them out one is of Brad & Cathy sitting on the porch at the house in September, the kids playing Bingo with Grandma in July, & Mia watching Grandma add birdseed to her feeders in August.



(Note: I have no pics of Cathy with her other Grandkids on the blog... as someone asked me about it. This is not because I only want pics on here with our kids... but because both of my sis-in-laws have asked me to keep their kids pictures off the blog... & as a Mom I am respecting their wishes.)

No comments: