Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Monday, March 3, 2008

Paying the Price

Poor Chase... he had to pay the price for Mom taking care of Grandma Cathy. The principal at his elementary school called me and said he had 3 tardies over the year & needed to stay after school until 4 one day for detention! (he is in 1st grade!) She gave me the 3 dates and they were all days that he had spent the night with my parents because I was either in Minnesota or Wisconsin taking Grandma Cathy to the doctor! (My Mom isn't very good at being on time... a trait that I have unfortunately inherited)

I argued with the Principal saying I didn't want him to be in trouble & feel it was because his Grandma is sick... but she said the rules are the rules. Urgh. So, my Mom sat in detention with him. She felt SO TERRIBLE since it was her fault. They sat in the office and read books together after school. (I am not sure how the school felt about her staying) When the principal came out she even said to Chase, "This won't happen again will it." -DUH!- ARGH!!!! Hello... have some sympathy for the poor kid, his Grandmother is dying for heaven's sake!!!! Luckily Brad didn't go in to talk to her... he was pretty upset.

I am trying to see this from the school's point of view. I know that they have to follow the rules. But I wish they could have made an exception in this case.

But from Chase's point of view... he was staying late because his Grandma is sick. (Mom is gone because Grandma is sick & Grandma Joyce got him to school late becuase he was staying with her) Tough lesson for him.

No comments: