Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Monday, May 12, 2008

Note from Jean

Hi Everyone:
Just a quick note on my visit to
Cathy today... I was gone for a long week-end, so Cathy was
excited to see me!!! So that's what
I want to think,,, she hugged me, kissed me, so happy, held hands
with me all the way down to the
dining room...Yes. BINGO, and
yes we did win, sometimes we
might cheat a little, not on purpose
of course... then outside for a little
walk, it was going on 3:00 and I had to pick girls up at school, Cathy went with, we then went to
the animal shelter, and she loves
the dogs there, she especially
is partial to a small chocolate lab.
they let her hold and walk and play
with it as long as she wants,, I
think Barb S. has taken her there
as she knows where and what to
do...Good day was had by all of
us... My granddaughters, who are
11 and 10 years old, love being
with Cathy, they remember her at
our house many times....Take
care and will write again after
next weeks golf cart trail ride for
Cathy.... Love Jean

No comments: