Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Monday, January 12, 2009

Marley & Me

First of all I have to apologize to all of you that are wondering, "what happened to the blog?". I thought I would get all computer savvy & try out a new template... only to find out I am NOT computer savvy & lost my old template!!! oops... Hopefully I saved most everything & have tried my best to piece it all back together.

Brad was home this weekend & we took the kids to "Marley & Me". (Warning! If you haven't seen it or read the book... don't read any further!!!!) I had read the book a year ago & already prepared the kids for the ending, in hopes to prevent to much drama afterwards. The movie is a definite for all dog lovers, Brad & I kept looking at each other laughing and smiling. But the end... well Chase was holding my hand, Mia had her head on my shoulder, I was sobbing, & I heard Brad sniffling. The movie brought out so many emotions in us. Mostly because our 1st baby & Cathy's 1st Granddog was our Yellow Lab "Bud". We cried remembering Bud, we cried remembering how Cathy cared for him the last year of his life (the vet recommended we put him down, but Cathy took him home to Wisconsin with her & cared for him! Doggy Hospice Care), & we cried at the 'thought' of loss... & for me... the thought of losing Cathy as well.

Cathy was & is an Animal Lover. She would have Loved this movie.
Below is a picture of Bud & his favorite tire. Plus I am posting my fav picture of Cathy & Misty again... because it makes me smile! :)


I talked to Brad this morning after he had stopped to see his Mom. The past few times she has been in bed when he has stopped... but today she was sitting in the TV room & smiling at him as he walked in! Hospice seems to be getting off to a good start... it will take them awhile to build relationships with her. Hopefully the staff at the NH knows that we appreciate all they do as well. And we can work together as a team to give Cathy the best care possible!

1 comment:

Nichelle said...

I think the new look is nice...I don't know how many times I got a new idea on how to improve my site...and spent the next few days going...oh...no,...oh...no....
Please take care and keep the faith...so hard to do sometimes...but you are such a testimony to God's unfailing love...your sis Nichelle