Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

carrots


Imagine my surprise... I walked into our laundry room tonight & glanced over & jumped! My first thought was, "What in the??" Then I realized the sink was full of carrots! Carrots from our garden... that I had long since given up on. (I am not the green thumb in our family)

Cathy must have heard Brad telling Chase yesterday that we should go pick the rest of the carrots... because she picked them. She hasn't had any interest in the garden all summer (& now it's fall). And it is not like her to completely uproot what seemed like 100 carrots & bring them inside without taking the tops (the word for the top of a carrot has slipped my mind... leaves...stems...) off first.

Just as I processed this she walked in behind me. I said, "Cathy, are those carrots?" And she just burst out laughing! She pointed at the sink & covered her mouth laughing. So there we were... laughing in the laundry room... quite silly... but very funny! (Maybe you just had to be there?)

We went shopping today for my niece's Birthday present. Now if you know Cathy... you know she does not Love shopping. She was always in & out of the store. When Tracy & I shop we take our time... it is like tasting fine wine... you have to enjoy the full experience! (When Cathy used to shop with us she was usually sitting at the front of the store waiting for us!) But today she was pretty good. I let her push the cart & I lead her through the store. I get nervous taking her shopping because this summer we had quite a few experiences shopping. One time she took off with the kids in Wal-Mart & Aunt Charlene and I couldn't find them... she is FAST! We finally found her sitting on a bench at the front door with the kids & her bags... she had checked out & they had miraculously stayed with her!! Today we did fairly well... no strange purchases... she has been throwing anything & everything in the cart the past few months, I learned this the hard way after spending over $100 a few times with her at Wal-Mart. (Gayle warned me about it... we got up to the check out & it was like having a kid with you... she had put lots of strange items in the cart) Today we got a few presents for the Grandchildren & she actually seemed to enjoy shopping.

The good news is shopping kept her away from the TV for a few hours & when we got back she threw the frisbee for Misty outside for a while. (This must also be when she picked the carrots... while I was putting things away.)

1 comment:

Jean McGrury said...

Good story and what did you do with all the carrots?