Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

ricked wood



This morning Cathy didn't get up until a little after 6. I was even up before her... and if you know me, you know I am NOT a morning person. Rhonda left early this morning. She did alot of work in the 2 days she was here... mowed, raked, and even baked. We have been eating her delicious Manicotti for meals today! Thanks again Rhonda.

This morning Gayle got a load of firewood from Ole. Cathy came outside with me and we ricked wood with the guys. Between Gayle, Brad, Cathy, & I (plus Gary in the end) we got it all ricked in less than an hour. It was great to see her working outside again. She said a few times, "Over the years I have ricked alot of wood." Conversation was struck up about it and the memories of the woodshed as a child. She was smiling & laughing with us.

I took Cath to town for Alwood's hot dogs, she asked for hot dogs for lunch, & Alwoods sells the linked hot dogs... like what you see Scooby Doo eating... almost everyone in the family LOVES them. On any given trip up here we usually bring a cooler home full of Alwood's hot dogs and Cheese Curds (fresh & squeaky). Yummy! We also went to Super Walmart (her favorite store) and ran into Bonnie. It was good to see her! I chased Cath around the store for a few minutes... she is so fast, you turn around and she is gone, it is like shopping with a 2 year old. She picked up 2 bottles of Ice (fingernail polish), neosporin, candy bars, & I talked her out of buying alot of other things. We only spent $17!!! Yeah! Usually when she is with me it is alot more than that... Victory!

The rest of the day we just relaxed. She kept turning the TV to Nick and Cartoon Network. No movies today. I also noticed the little sticky note laying on the kitchen counter here... she brought it with her, all of the info about Toby's baby. :)

She also cut her hair again. Uffda! It was finally growing out and starting to look nice again, I was just thinking of asking my friend over who cuts hair to come style it this next week. Too late now, she chopped & layered it again once she got home. Sneaky she is... she just smiled & laughed when I asked her. Sneaky.

She is NOT happy about going to see her Dr. in LaCrosse tomorrow... hopefully it goes ok. They will take Gayle, Brad, & I to visit with the social worker and take Cathy for testing. Then we will all meet together to discuss the results and plan of care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

DeeDee said...

I had to laugh to myself when you wrote Sneaky. Sneaky. That describes things my Mom does, too. So Sneaky, wouldn't have ever guessed her to do that.