Our Families Journey Caring for a Mom with FTLD-MND

It is important to know as you read this journal that this was Cathy's life post diagnosis...

To know Cathy Truly you must know that she was: a Wife, Mother of 3 boys, Grandmother of 9, Sister, Niece, Aunt, Daughter, and Friend.

Our families journey began with Cathy's diagnosis the week of Thanksgiving 2006, Cathy was 52. Her original diagnosis was Pick's Disease/FTD. Looking back her symptoms most likely began 3-5 years before diagnosis. Most of the Doctors have told us that from onset of symptoms to death... the average timeframe is 4-7 years. (sigh) In the end her brain autopsy showed Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration with Motor Neuron Disease FTLD-MND. (Basically... Frontal Lobe Dementia with Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Monday, October 27, 2008

note from Jean today

Jean called me while she was visiting Cathy today... not a good day... she let me say Hello... I said, "Hi Cathy. I Love You." She made a few loud noises/somewhat of a laugh & passed the phone back to Jean. Here is the note Jean sent me today:
__________________________

Not so good today, Cathy could
barely swallow the jello I was
feeding her, she had to struggle
with every little bite.......No very
happy either, she does seem to
like the Lands End slippers i
brought her Sunday. but those are
even hard for her to get on.... I
just don't know I going to
happen in the next month, maybe
week, I wish with all my heart I
could help her....Thank god for
nurses and family...Looking
forward to seeing Brad tomorrow.
I told Cathy that Brad was coming
to visit, she always smiles when
I tell her that. I love watching her
face when she sees Brad coming
down the hallway...She knows you
well I think... Love Jean

No comments: